Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wool dryer balls

So I've got a static/shit takes a decade to dry in our small dryer issue. It was death by electric microfiber every time I tried to pull things out of the dryer.
 I knew I couldn't use dryer sheets or fabric softener to solve the issue due to the nasty chemicals and the repelling issues they start with our diapers. You can't even use the sheets on other clothes because of the chemical buildup in your dryer! Which, lets face it is totally nasty that it actually leaves a film on your dryer that alters the performance of fabrics.
 What did I do? I went to my best friend Dr. Google. I read countless blogs and answers about dryer balls and cd safe fabric softener. I didn't want to spend the somewhat ridiculous amount I was seeing the dryer balls going for (about $12-$20) so I bought some cheap plastic balls from Bed Bath and Beyond.
 Within the first week or two the balls started to disintegrate. I wasn't surprised, they didn't really work well and I honestly couldn't see how they worked the way the wool ones did.
 I went back to the drawing board, I figured I could at least see how they were made and maybe I could just DIY them. It turns out the whole process is super easy, a little time consuming but easy none the less.
 I used this tutorial on the Good Mama website Wool Dryer Ball Tutorial . Went to Hobby Lobby and bought the needed materials. I was surprised at the lack of actual wool they had, you need to have 80% or more pure wool and it seemed like almost everything they had was an acrylic blend. I did get two (once again cute) balls of 100% pure wool.
 So I sat down last night and started the process while watching teen melodramas on Hulu to combat the football video game the Mr. was playing (Seriously f that game and it's stupid stupid loud footbally and awful music sounds) and started winding balls.
 I've finished the first layer and and the am beginning the second. Something about the winding is relaxing and is able to keep my overly multi tasking self calm.
 Hopefully these turn out well and do the job I need them to, it would be really nice to save the money and cut my drying time down.

No comments:

Post a Comment